With this, our 100th blog post, it feels appropriate to reflect on the effect blogging has had on our business here at Mix Creative.
I began blogging on a regular basis in the fall of 2008, after attending the Creative Freelancer conference in Chicago Illinois. Several guest lecturers at the conference, including Ilise Benun, Peleg Top, and Colleen Wainwright, spoke of the power of blogging to establish yourself as an expert and increase your search engine optimization (SEO). What I didn’t realize was how much more I would get out of blogging. Here’s a sample:
- Getting Published. Readers of my blog have requested to reprint posts to their own blogs or in their e-newsletters, widening our company’s exposure. Mix blog articles have been adapted for the Women in Networking Connect e-newsletter, and others appear on the blog site of Overnight Prints.
- Speaking Engagments. Something I never expected from blogging—sharing my knowledge through my blog has directly contributed to me being asked to be a guest speaker at several events, including: a Women In Networking SparkHer event and annual conference, Tech Networking event and webinar from Modern Inconveniences, and to the Freelance Design Business class at the Minneapolis Community and Technical College.
- Material for the Mix E-Newsletter, >the mixer. Often, a blog post will inspire content for our company’s e-newsletter. Although I generally adapt the article for the shorter e-newsletter format, having a source of content has been a huge time-saver!
- A place to easily post e-newsletter archives. Simply creating a page for an e-newsletter archive on my blog, then adding a link to the online archive has made this monthly function quick and effortless. Not only that, but it’s accessible to blog readers, who may not be e-newsletter subscribers.
- Fun and personal growth. Ok, this one is definitely something I didn’t expect: writing and posting articles on my blog is just plain fun! It gives me an opportunity to take a break from design, it puts a voice to my opinions, and it gives me a sense of accomplishment. And then there’s the blog stats…addicting! It’s fun to see which posts get a lot of reads, and tracking the increase in blog hits over time. And here’s a fun thing: last week I received a call from San Diego, California asking for more information about something I’d written in the post, Beyond the Trifold: How to Make Your Brochure Stand Out in the Crowd, (our most popular post).
Looking forward, my goals for my blog are to: 1) increase the number of hits by increasing the amount of entries and providing consistently relevant content, 2) Encourage readers to comment more, and 3) Promote the blog more at networking events, online, and through social media.
Thank you to all of our readers, whether you’re a one-time visitor or check back frequently! Want to stay up on recent posts? Click the “subscribe” button in the upper right. You’ll get a short e-mail synopsis of current entries.
Any thoughts about blogging or suggestions for our blog? Please leave a comment below! Remember, blog comments are searchable by web browsers, and can increase your personal SEO ranking.
Principal of Mix Creative